28 Sep - Home Food - Siew Yuk / Roast Pork

I had a hankering for some roast pork belly late last week, so on Saturdays shopping run, I stopped by the Chinese butchers down at the shops at Amazon Drive. $16 later, I had a nice bit of pork belly, which I chopped into two.

A recipe I found had a long preperation routine to get the skin as dry as possible. First, I mixed hoisin sauce and five spice powder, slashed into the meat side and rubbed this marinade in. Then, on the skin side, I sprinkled sea salt and put the belly in the fridge, uncovered. The dry air of the fridge pulls the moisture out to try and get the best crackling possible.

So this afternoon, I whacked the pork in the oven, then as per instructions, after 20 mins, poked the skin and liberally applied vinegar. After the internal temperature of the pork hit 75 degrees, the skin was still not crackled. A liberal dose of electric grill helped sort that out.

I let it completely cool before trying to cut it. I used my nice and heavy meat cleaver which seemed to do the ob, although my cutting is uneven. A little practice should sort that out.

Next time, I might try roasting in the BBQ. The heat from a gas flame might make it crackle... who knows? I wouldn't of thought so, but my povo electric oven doesn't seem to do it without the griller.

No comments: