14 May - Down South Short Trip Day 1

South West WA Trip - Day: 1 2 3

Miami Bakehouse, Falcon

After hearing about this award winning pie shop in the paper, I knew I had to try some of their pies. So on the way down to Margaret River, CB and I detoured through Mandurah to stop and have lunch. After asking what was their most popular pies (to which the lady said all were popular .. not really helpful), I chose to try the Seafood Medley and Peppered Steak pies.


Described as "a delectable combination of prawns, fish and scallops served in a lemon pepper sauce), the Seafood Medley pie did have quite a bit of meat in it. The only obvious one was the prawn meat, due to its colour. I couldn't taste any lemon or pepper, to me, it was like a thick white sauce, but without the creaminess that a traditional bechamel normally has.

The Peppered Steak pie was touted as "Peppered seasonings, lean beef steak and a dash of cream". This pie did have a bit of bite after a few mouthfuls, but the gravy wasn't as tasty as I imagined it could have been.

Maybe I've hyped this place up in my mind that it failed to deliver. Both these pies were award winning, and I was expecting more. In all honesty, the pies were better than your average Mrs Macs. However, at over $30 for 4 pies and a 600ml Coke, it wasn't exactly cheap.

Gloria Jeans, Margaret River

After another couple of hours driving, we finally reached the town centre. We parked, grabbed a drink (I had a Very Vanilla Chiller), and walked around the main street. After a quick stop at the Visitors Centre (to grab a local map and brochures), we also had a look at the Target Country (a small, mainly clothes version of normal Target) and the Margaret River Fudge Factory.

Winos, Margaret River

CB and I were tossing up which place to tackle first for dinner. After calling Xanadu and finding out they weren't open for dinner on Fridays, we ended up calling Winos to make a reservation. The menu was put up on huge blackboards, and a little hard to read from the back corner of the establishment. We were also not informed that the servings were more styled towards tapas sizing, so we were a little surprised when we ordered our food for it to come out so small!


I opted for the Chargrilled Wagyu Skirt, which was served with a french onion soubise and gremolata. The meat was cooked medium and beautifully tender, but I wasn't a huge fan of whatever the soubise was. Personally, I'm a fan of good plain, well seasoned beef. Very simple.

CB and I also shared some handcut chips with rosemary salt. These were quite good.


I washed it all down with a bottle of expensive water (apparantly from Tuscany). CB had a glass of wine.

CB chose a confit duck salad which was quite nice (I had a taste), along with a mandarin creme brulee.


Chooks, Margaret River





After leaving Winos, I was still wanting to eat something, so we stopped off at the local fast food establishment. CB and I shared a three piece and chips special, along with a couple of pineapple fritters (unfortunately they were out of bananas). Chooks' fried chicken is similar to KFC's original, ableit saltier.

No comments: