Sydney 2007 Holiday Day 4

Home Day: 1 2 3 4 5 6

10:26PM - Starbucks, BBQ King, Emperor's Puff and Al Ponte

Today started off with a Toffee Nut frappa from Starbucks. I thought it tasted like shit so I swapped with CB, who had a Peppermint Mocha frappa, which was better but still not my cup of tea.

We went around Paddy's Markets for a bit before 11:30 came around, and then ate at BBQ King. Unfortunately, the suckling pig was not ready, and therefore I opted for 'roast duck and char siu rice'. It was a huge serving and I was full afterwards.

IMG_2169

On the way back to the markets, we stopped and got some 'Emperor's Puffs', recommended by one of CB's friends. We went for 15 which cost $3 (5 for $1). They were sweet vanilla-ish balls, some had a custardy middle (uncooked batter). They weren't too bad but not better than KK's.

IMG_2172

I got some shirts from the markets ($15 each, cotton, made in Vietnam .. does that mean they're better than China?) and my kris kringle present for work. Afterwards, we hopped on the bus to go down to Paddington Markets (different from Paddy's), which turned out to be rather uneventful. We ended up walking down Oxford Street a bit and then catching the bus back after going through the markets for a bit. (an interesting side note: whilst going through the food section, there was a Thai place selling noodles which smelt pretty good. I had a look at their stove and it was a rusted old Rambo burner!)

I rested for a bit when we got back, CB shopped some more. Afterwards, we got ready and walked around Darling Harbour before dinner. We went to Al Ponte, which was in the Harbourside building at Darling Harbour, who had an empty table for us (we didn't have a reservation).

For a starter, I chose the antipasto. It consisted of various Italian hams (pancetta, prosciutto), various fritters and meats, marinated olives, artichoke and capsicum, sundried tomato and a slice of swiss cheese. It wasn't bad, I'm not a big fan of artichoke or olives, but I already knew that.

IMG_2200

For a main, I went for a dish called "Trota salmonata farcita con pancetta e insalata di ceci". Translated, it is a "roasted ocean trout stuffed with pine nuts and sage wrapped with toasted pancetta, chickpea salad with an olive and baby caper dressing". When I first saw both our main dishes, I thought I got jipped (as I usually do). But after digging in, I enjoyed it alot! The chickpeas were a little weirdly textured (I'm used to them quite soft), but the dish was well put together.

IMG_2202

Desert came around and I opted for the Creme Brulee. Not one, but two! I must admit, it wasn't as good as the one I had 3 days ago, but still good to eat. It was finished with a strawberry and an ameretto biscuit.

IMG_2217

No comments: