5 Nov - Hung Kee BBQ, Northbridge

I had suggested to CB to have dinner at Good Fortune tonight, but when we arrived, we noticed it was shut! They had decided to close for a month before the xmas rush! Slightly hungry and in the mood for Cantonese BBQ goodness, we walked down William St for another BBQ house.

Not even 5 minutes down the road was Hung Kee BBQ. Upon sitting down, a bowl of soup was put down, similar to one my Mum makes, consisting of some carrot, vegie (mum calls it sour vegetables, I don't know the name) and pork. Whilst not as good as Mum's (hers has dried scallops, a lot more pork meat .. yum!), it was still good to drink. I had it all as CB doesn't eat pork.
I placed my order of roast pork and rice, and within 2 or 3 minutes, I had been served. Whilst the place wasn't that busy, and the meat is precooked, I was still impressed. The pork was tender and had good fatty bits, although a little salty. The chilli had quite a good kick.


Overall, I like this place. Who doesn't like "free" soup? Whilst I wouldn't necessarily drive all the way to have it (Golden King BBQ in Morley is closer), it would be a toss between here and Good Fortune whenever I'm in Northbridge. Good Fortune does have really really good char siu though..... too many choices!

No comments: