11 Oct - Porridge and homemade salted egg

I've had some chicken eggs in brine in the fridge for over two months now .. when they were supposed to be in there only for a month. So tonight, I decided to have some porridge / jook / congee for dinner. I had to cook it quickly so I used the pressure cooker and raw rice, with a 5 to 1 water to rice ratio. I also added some peanuts. After 15 mins, the rice was cooked but it wasn't broken up enough. But I was late and I was hungry enough to eat it as is.

Tonights porridge was served with dark and light soy sauce, pepper and fried shallots. The salted chicken eggs were OK. I had put some szechuan pepper in the brine and was a little disappointed that I couldn't taste any pepper when eating the egg white. The yolk however, had a subtle peppery flavour.

No comments: