24 Apr - Blue Mussel Subiaco

On Tuesday, the group (except CB, who is in Melbourne) went out to Blue Mussel for a birthday. The restaurant is located in the new establishment right next to the train station. It's a fairly small restaurant, with an open kitchen (so you can see them making your meal), however once it filled up, it was really loud and hard to have a conversation in.


For entree, I ordered Gravalax Salmon Mille Fuille. Their description was "In house cured Tasmanian Salmon, layered between potato Rösti, horseradish cream cheese & curly endive, finished with a Njou salsa Verde". The entree was nice, however towards the end, the horseradish cream cheese was getting a little on the sickly side. It wasn't something that I'd typically order, however it was very muchly enjoyed.


The good thing about Tuesday was their special... buy one, get one free mussels. Since they claimed to have the 'Best in the West', I knew I had to try their Chilli Mussels. So for mains, I ordered a mains size Chilli Mussels (10/10 for hotness) and some bread. The mussels were very good, the best I've had in a while. The hotness was nice at the start and by the end, I had a runny nose, teary eyes and had run out of tissues. I wanted to finish my chilli juice but ended up leaving some of it behind.


A vanilla shake was also ordered, although this was a little watery for my liking. I wanted to try my benchmark 'Ice Coffee', but since I had to work the next day, I didn't want the coffee to keep me up.

All in all, I quite liked the food. For $12 mussels, it is definitely worth it.

No comments: