25 Oct - Home Food - Birthday Dinner

So Sunday night was my birthday celebration dinner with my immediate family. Normally Mum does all the cooking and puts on a spread, but I thought this year, I'd do most of the things. For chow this time included:

Roast chicken. This chook was brined, then the skin was coated in chilli, lemongrass and chicken seasoning. It was OK, but I didn't have a lot of it.

Siew Yuk. Like before, this was seasoned with hoisin and five spice. I tried to crackle the skin with a blow torch but it was epic fail. While the skin puffed, it wasn't crispy! Ended up using a frypan to at least make it a little crispy, but it didn't have that crunchy, crispy texture that normally comes with roast pork.

Char siu pork. I cheated and used a jar (Lee Kum Kee). The jar says to marinate for 2 hours, I kept it in the fridge for 3 days. I used pork neck (also known as pork scotch fillet, or pork collar butt), and it was delicious! Was a little sweet, I may have to make my own marinade to make it slightly more savoury. But there was enough fat to make it tender and melt in the mouth good.

The token vegie dish. This included bok choy, onion, garlic and shiitake mushroom. Deboned drumsticks were marinaded in rice wine, dark and light soy sauce.

Mum's chicken curry. Made from boneless thighs, wings and drumsticks, along with potatoes and carrots. Note the oil slick from all the chicken skin. Mmmmmmm...

Birthday cake. Vanilla custard torte from Krusty Kob. One of my favourite cakes! I'm a sucker for vanilla and custard.....

No comments: