9 Feb - Victoria Station / Burswood CNY Bazaar

CB, my mum and I originally went to Burswood on Saturday night to check out the Chinese New Year Hawker Bazaar that was advertised in their pamphlet. It sounded pretty good, with hawker style food, cooking demonstrations, lion dances etc, but when we arrived, it wasn't that good at all. Being overcrowded and lousy food (and expensive .. $8 for 4 satay!!!) made us eat elsewhere, so we headed for Victoria Station.

I was actually suprised we got in without a booking and with me wearing shorts. I went for the 'braised rabbit, with grilled witlof wrapped in parma ham'. Having eaten (and learnt) at Rockpool in Sydney, we decided to also go for sides too, and went for the rocket, parmesan and walnut salad and some roast potatoes.

The rabbit wasn't bad, the jus was a bit thick and syrupy and I probably would've preferred the dish without it. I would say rabbit is just like chicken (I know everyone says x meat is like chicken) but it seriously is. I was expecting it to be gamey but it wasn't at all.

The sides were decent, I thought the salad was quite good. Just the right amount of dressing, a heap of sharp parmesan and crunchy nuts. The potatoes could've been crispier but were definitely edible.


Afterwards we went back to the bazaar and went for desert. I wanted Cendol from one of the stalls but they were only making Ice Kacang due to the long line. It was OK but not that authentic, they used red bean paste instead of red beans, got a lychee, 1 palm seed and a whole lot of the green worms that are normally in Cendol.

No comments: