03 Dec - Lucky Lupitas, Bedford Park





This Mexican place seems like in the middle of nowhere but seemed quite busy when I went in (I later found out it was a quiet night!). As soon as the door opened, the smell of spice, rustic tables and music in Spanish made me feel like I was in Mexico, although I have no basis to compare to.

Having skipped lunch, I grabbed a few tacos and some ribs, along with some Mexican soft drinks. I grabbed the following:

Taco de pato - guajillo-lime braised duck with orange-panela, crispy red onion , basil, red cabbage & cilantro
Taco de carne - braised beef with radish, guacamole, salsa Mexicana & cabbage
Taco de pollo - slow cooked chicken with lettuce, chipotle mayo slaw, crispy onions, cilantro, mole verde & tomatillo salsa
Lucky Lunch Ribs - our wood smoked & slow cooked beef short ribs

The photos suck. The place was small and I felt embarrassed taking photos of my food so tried to disguise it with the flash off.

The soft shell tacos were good, the flavours of the beef and duck were better than the chicken one. Each one squirted a bit of liquid when I bit into them, but they were tasty and different to my usual Old El Paso bastardized versions.

The beef ribs were falling off the bone and had a decent whack of smoke to them. There were a few dry bits but overall, the meat was fatty and rich. Teamed with the rice, it filled the void quite nicely.

When going up to pay, I also ordered a mango Jarritos. Definitely prefer the lime version.

1 comment:

wagg said...

Don't be embarrassed! Just take photos, cos they'll never see you again... unless you go back there this trip or in March. Haha!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Nigel is bad enough, but food photo taking Nigel is just that bit too much :-P