HK Singapore 2011 Holiday Day 04

Home Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

The day started off with breakfast, and on the way to Lockheart St Food Centre, some stopped at the local bakery. I had a custard tart, which was beautifully flakey and eggy. Top stuff for 50c AUD.

15032011581 

At the Food Centre, I had pork juk with century egg. After I combined it with some soy sauce and spring onion, it was quite nice, although other’s porridge was a bit watery.

15032011582The pork was in slices and delightfully tender. The century egg was in big chunks and it appears a whole egg was smashed up. An enjoyable but filling breakfast for $3 AUD.

We then proceeded to Tung Chung and grabbed the cable car through Lantau Island up to Nnong Ping where the giant Buddha is situated. The cable car spanned over a few mountains and lasted over half an hour. There was also a hiking trail that one could see from the cable car and I was surprised to see some older people hiking down the trail. Once we got up to the top, I smelt kebabs and had to have something as it was nearing lunch time.

15032011584I opted for a doner kebab, which was filled with real lamb slices, instead of the mince stuff that is sold in Perth. Coupled with a spicy chilli sauce, this hit the spot.

Afterwards, we headed towards the Big Buddha. Some of us went up, I opted to stay down and grab a cup of coffee instead. So after seeing the local Buddhist temple, I headed back to the Starbucks and grabbed a vanilla latte.

15032011585 After awhile, the others came back. Since Gaz can’t eat dairy, he gave his Mega icecream to me. This was similar to a Choc Wedge but had a chocolate sauce rippled through it and nuts in the chocolate casing. It was quite good.

15032011586Soon after the others had coffee, a cloud mist swept the area. Along with that came rain, so out came the ponchos after we caught a bus to Tai O fishing village. We walked around there for awhile before stumbling across a bak kwa stall. After purchasing some, we then proceeded to head back to the shopping centre we got to before getting on the cable car.

15032011587We then stopped for dinner at the Food Republic food court in Tung Chung. I had wonton noodles in a set, which cost just over $5 AUD. The noodles weren’t as good as the Singaporean counterpart, but the wontons were hands down better. Plump and juicy with a lot of prawns, these were delicious. I even got some greens in the form of some lettuce.

After a little while shopping, we then headed to the supermarket in this shopping centre as it looked huge. I grabbed some pork ribs which were $31 HKD, which worked out to be just over $4 AUD.

15032011588 When I got back to my hotel room, I cracked these open. These weren’t the most tender ribs, nor tastiest (they were slightly sweet, whereas I like smoke). But they were cheap and hit the spot well.

No comments: