HK Singapore 2011 Holiday Day 14

Home Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

The day started off with a meet at Starbucks and breakfast from Old Chang Kee and one of the local noodle places in Bugis Junction.

25032011692From left to right: Grande Iced Vanilla Latte, Sardine-O and economical Bee Hoon. The Sardine-O was tasty but seemed smaller than usual. The Bee Hoon was tasty, but I think the horfun from the other day was better. The chilli sauce that was squirted down the side definitely perked up the dish. At $1.30 SGD a serve though, it fills a void very cheaply.

After breakfast and coffee, we then headed to Tampines. After noticing a J.Co store, I bought a glazy donut, which, as usual, was light and fluffy.

25032011693 
Whilst perusing the shops, I had a warm soy bean drink.

25032011694This particular store had a sweetness scale which ranged from no added sugar to uber sweet. I believe I had the no sugar added option.

Lunch was at the Kopi-tiam foodcourt in another Tampines mall. Being Friday (and observing Lent), I had the fishball noodle.

25032011695The noodle was flavoured with some chilli, soy sauce concoction and when I poured the broth over the top (as I felt like a noodle soup), the oil rose to the top in a red oil slick. It had a decent kick to it, the noodles were firm and the fishballs and cake were light, springy and tasty.

Afterwards, we headed to see Goo Poh. We stayed there for a couple of hours before retiring back to Bugis, killing some time initially at Sim Lim before having dinner at Sakae Sushi. I had the following plates:

25032011696 Unagi sushi. Delicious as always.

25032011697A spicy lobster salad roll. The chilli powder dusted on the outside was quite hot and my mouth was on fire after eating the four rolls. What made it worse was that my tea was boiling hot and I couldn’t drink it to cool down.

25032011698Salmon karaage. This was a nice surprise, and went down well with some requested mayonaise.

25032011699I can’t remember what was in this one .. I think it was a salmon/mayo mix.

25032011700 "Lobster” and mayo concoction.

25032011701A scallop sushi dish. The scallops were just ever so slightly charred, topped with spring onion and fish roe. The scallops were still raw but the slight colouring on the presentation side gave a little charred note.

25032011702A corn and mayo mix.

25032011703Salmon skin sushi. This had the texture of sand but tasted quite good. Whoever likes crispy salmon skin would like this sushi.

25032011704This was a mix of unagi and mushroom. I felt that the unagi was overpowered by the mushroom and wasn’t very noticeable.

After dinner, we headed to Swensens to have icecream. I had my victory Coit Tower, which tasted even sweeter as it was free.

25032011705 
After dessert, we headed to the basement of Bugis Junction to go to the supermarket. I decided to have dessert number 2 and went to Beard Papas for a creampuff.

25032011706Unfortunately, only chocolate was available. It wasn’t the best puff I’ve had, I much prefer vanilla. It was also broken in a few spots so when I went tobite into it, custard oozed everywhere. Not good when you’re trying to eat and walk at the same time.

25032011708 While at the supermarket, I managed to find Marigold orange juice. It has been advertised around SIngapore as “pulpy”, and cos I like 100% orange juice with pulp, decided to try it. Now the bottle says made from 100% juice, but the actual ingredients list says otherwise. This wouldn’t fly in Australia … the ingredients list read: ”Orange juice concentrate, orange pulp cells, grape juice concentrate, milk solids, permitted stabliser, vitamin C, permitted flavourings, citric acid, permitted preservative, vitamin E, sodium citrate, permitted colourings and vitamin A”. That is NOT 100% juice. Fail.

No comments: