HK Singapore 2011 Holiday Day 13

Home Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

The day started off with an early meet at Starbucks. I grabbed an espresso frappacino to have whilst walking to breakfast.

24032011682 It wasn’t very good, with the ice being chunky instead of being smooth and being very watery on the bottom. Definitely not the best frappa I’ve had.

We then walked to New Victory Restaurant to have roti prata for breakfast.

24032011683 I had roti and egg with curry sauce. It ended up being about $1.50 SGD for a serve. The roti had crisp and chewy bits, and along with the curry sauce, went down really well. We got jipped though as we got white man spicy, probably due to CB. We were split into two tables and the other table had a different curry which had more bite.

We then legged it back to Bugis to hop onto the MRT and head towards HarbourFront. Once there, we took the Sentosa Express over to Universal Studios on Sentosa. We spent the rest of the morning there, looking at different attractions until lunch time. We ended up eating at Mel’s Drive In, located in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios.

24032011684 I went for the Chilli burger combo for lunch. The burger consisted of lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, cheese, beef and chilli (the American chilli). The burger was good, although I would’ve liked the chilli to be a proper chilli (with spice and fire). It tasted more like a bolognaise.

24032011685 CB and I shared some onion rings, which were full of onion goodness and crisp on the outside.

After a few more hours at Universal, we left for Lau Pa Sat. Here, I had some of

24032011686 Chicken and beef satay. I had a share of these satay sticks, but I think I ate most of them. The chicken was more tender than the beef, but both were quite tasty with burnt charcoaly bits.

24032011687 The accompanying rice and cucumber slices. Not much to say really.

24032011688 There was a miscommunication and I ended up with two lime juices. It turned out to be beneficial as it cooled down the spicy food to come.

24032011689Kang Kung or oong choy. Fried with belecan and dried shrimp, this was quite salty but was very tasty. I could’ve just eaten this with rice.

24032011690Stingray. Tender flakes of white fish coated in sambal. What’s not to like? My mouth was on fire after eating my half share.

After dinner, a group of us headed to my Aunt and Uncle’s place in Bedok. Here we had durian from Malaysia, where the fruits had dropped from the tree on their own, indicating ripeness and sweetness.

24032011691

There was A LOT of durian here and I ate quite a bit. I didn’t have a bad bit at all, whilst some were a little fibrous, they were nothing in comparison to the Thai frozen specimens we get at home. Overall, they were creamy, some had a bitter note, others were sweet. Much enjoyed. CB even tried a piece (hope she doesn’t convert to a durian eater though .. more for me)…

No comments: