Singapore 2009 Holiday Day 2

Home Day: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

KFC, Velocity Mall

08112009070

The day started with us heading to one of the local shopping centres near the hotel. Wagg, Arnee-ah and I originally wanted Old Chang Kee, but the one at Velocity Mall had not opened. Walking around a bit, I noticed a KFC, and decided to have that instead. The other guys followed. I went for the congee set, which consisted of KFC congee (porridge) and coffee. The congee was quite good, it was tasty and the chunks of chicken were quite good. It was molten hot when we got it and stayed hot for ages. Still not as good as Mums KFC Hot and Spicy porridge from back in Australia though.

After exploring Velocity Mall and United Square (U.S. has more breakfast options, like Starbucks, Old Chang Kee, various kopi tiam places and Maccas), we headed into Toa Payoh.

Chicken Rice stand, Fork and Spoon (Toa Payoh)

08112009072

I knew I was going to have chicken rice before setting foot into the joint. Wagg agreed, although she opted for the boiled version, I went for the roast chicken. This set was $5, and consisted of roast chicken, kai lan (Chinese broccoli), savoury rice and some soup with wontons. This hit the spot... I would've loved to have more rice but it was enough to keep me going.

After meeting our cousin, we ended up walking around the old market area. Since it was recently our cousin's birthday, Wagg decided to buy a cake from Bengawan Solo. The cake was a chocolate gateau, which we had after going back to his flat.

08112009073

We hung around and chatted for the afternoon and eventually went downstairs to a local hawker for some dinner. We had been at the same place last year and this year certainly did not disappoint either. I'm not sure of the name of the place though...

Hawker on Toa Payoh Central
Everyone was split onto two tables, and the food came shortly after. This included:

08112009074

Shark Fin Soup: gelatinous and tasty. Mmmm I love this soup, one of my favourites!


08112009075

7Up: Nothing much to say except this place didn't have Coke. We were offered Pepsi instead, but I went for the lemonade option instead of Pepsi.


08112009076

Stirfried Beef: Tender beef, with spring onion and eggs? I didn't get any of the eggs but the beef was nice.
08112009077

Steamed fish of some sort: This fish was delicious, but I had a bony section.

08112009078

Pork spare ribs: Coated in a savoury/sweet glaze. These were very good. Not fall off the bone tender but taste-tastic!

08112009079

Not sure what this had in it. Not even sure what its called. I didn't have any of this as it was on the other side of the table. Wagg says this was yam nest filled with prawns and vegetables, and quote "was YUMBO".

08112009080

Bak Choy, with mushrooms. Not sure what mushrooms they were (maybe baby shiitake?), but being a fan of both bak choy and mushrooms, this was a winner for me.
08112009081

Chilli Crabs: Nice chilli sauce. There was a little bite, but I even saw Carley-ah have some, although not the sauce. I ended up eating quite a few legs and claws. The "oldies" on the other table didn't eat a lot of their crab, so it came over to our side. Mmmmmm.

08112009082

Lychee and syrup: These were refreshing after the chilli crab, when I accidentally inhaled some of the sauce and starting coughing.

Swensens, Toa Payoh

08112009083

After eating dinner, we headed over to Swensens after a short walk around. Here, I ordered a Coit Tower (a staple at Swensens). It was quite good, after not having it for over a year. Next time at Swensens however, I will have to try their other sundaes such as the durian and cendol versions.

No comments: