Singapore 2009 Holiday Day 9

Home Day: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Starbucks & Old Chang Kee, United Square

15112009144


The morning started off with the usual Starbucks and Old Chang Kee. At Starbucks, I had a tall espresso frappa, with whipped cream, but forgot to take a picture. OCK did not open till nearly 10 so we had to wait till they had food on their counter. Mum and Dad met up with us before grabbing some OCK, and we headed to Red Hill to see my Dad's aunt.

We visited for a few hours, and ate pandan cake and drank coke. We headed off and left Mum and Dad to go back to Toa Payoh for a dinner with cousins, uncles and aunts. Mum and Dad went to Bedok to attend another uncles birthday party.

Dim Sum stall at Koufu Foodcourt, Toa Payoh

We arrived Toa Payoh at about 3PM and were a bit peckish due to skipping lunch whilst at Red Hill. I went to the dim sum stand and bought a pork bao and 2 siew mai.

15112009145

Both were edible but not the best I've had. The bao was certainly no Tiong Bahru bao. But it filled the void and was quite cheap.

We then headed to the old part of Toa Payoh central where there was a little bazaar happening. I managed to find quite large food fly nets for $4, so I bought 2. There wasn't much else that appealed to me.

My Aunties Feast

My aunt made a whole array of dishes and brought them to my cousins place as his place is larger. On the menu tonight included:

15112009146
Mee Siam and prawn wontons. The mee siam was relatively hot and packed full of prawn flavour. The wontons had prawn and fish paste filling and were very moorish.

15112009147
Chilli Crab. My aunt's version is a lot less wet than the hawker style, and I believe it is more tasty for being so. The crab was sweet whilst the sauce was savoury and mild. I had a few claws (I ate the leg parts earlier in the trip).

15112009148
Curry chicken. This was simply delicious. The mix and quality of spice simply make my aunts curry the best I've ever had (sorry Mum, but you come second...). The potato had absorbed all that curry flavour, the meat was fall off the bone tender and the sauce was absolutely beautiful. My only gripe was the lack of heat (due to Carley-ah not able to take a lot of chilli). I even got two chicken feet in the curry which I enjoyed.

No comments: